Friday, May 13, 2011

Canvas Flower Tutorial

Happy Friday! I'm glad to see Blogger back in action, although yesterday's post has gone missing.  Hopefully it will magically reappear.  If not, I'll repost the content on Monday.  But anyway, I have a tutorial for you today!  The May Sampler includes a new item to my shop - Layered Canvas Flowers. 


Made from raw canvas, these pretty flowers can be used simply as-is, or embellished.  I'd like to share with you today how you can alter these petals with paint.


First, remove the brad and separate the layers.


Next, coat each piece with a layer of gesso and let dry.  The gesso makes the paint more vibrant since it doesn't sink into the canvas. You could skip this step if you like the look of paint on raw canvas.


Paint each piece and let dry.


For added interest and a little bit of glimmer, spray pieces with mist and let dry.



Reassemble the pieces and secure the brad.


By adding gesso and paint to the canvas, the petals lift and curl like natural flower petals.  The dimension is beautiful.  Wouldn’t this be a great addition to a mini album cover, scrapbook page, hair clip or brooch pin?  One thing is for certain – these blank canvas petals are full of possibilities!


If you would like to try this technique, you can find the canvas flowers in May's Sampler, "Mother's Portrait", here.  I'm thinking about adding the canvas flowers separately to the shop.  What do you think?  Thanks for stopping by today :).  Enjoy your weekend! Tessa

2 comments:

  1. Wow! These are neat Tessa. I always love seeing your new designs. I think they'd be great as separates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect!Thank you for sharing!!!
    I'll try it soon!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!